Illumina: Scientific Research Space
The building is being constructed for BioMed Reality Trust, Inc, which owns, manages and operates scientific research centre Granta Park in Cambridge. It will act as the new European headquarters for biomedical company Illumina, a world leader in genomics focused on improving human health by unlocking the power of the genome.
The new state of the art 220,000 square foot facility concrete framed building over three floors will deliver scientific research space, including a data centre capable of handling Illumina’s significant data requirement. The facility will provide Illumina with a collaborative environment and access to a highly skilled workforce in the dynamic research cluster anchored by Cambridge University.
- Early engagement with the main contractor and design team resulted in reduction in the construction cost and shortening of the construction programme
- Use of prefabricated reinforced mats and pre-cast core walls significantly reduced the construction programme
- Large spanning Glued Laminated exposed timber roof to winter garden feature
- Sustainable driven drainage solution adopting swales which were carefully integrated into the landscaping designs
- Close liaison with specialist designers to provide the best value whilst assisting with reducing construction lead-in times