Our environmental planning team provide a range of services across all of the key sectors within the UK and across Europe. Key sectors include:
- Urban regeneration
- Property development
- Energy generation, transmission and storage
- Life sciences
- Property transaction services – acquisition and divestiture
Our team understands the issues associated with these sectors and can provide considered, pragmatic, sustainable and cost-effective advice through a risk management approach to all stages of the project life cycle: acquisition, design, planning, construction and operation.
Services at a glance
Environmental consultancy is about supporting development teams and decision makers through a risk reduction approach. Clients are fully supported by our teams in navigating the permitting/planning regulatory framework. Our clients benefit from our in-house environmental specialisms. We co-ordinate and engage with any incumbent professionals as required:
- Environmental Assessment & Sustainability Appraisal
- Environmental Impact Assessment Co-ordination
- Air Quality, Indoor Air Quality, Dust & Odour Solutions
- Climate & Carbon
- Biodiversity & Ecosystem Services
- Hydrology, Hydrogeology & Flood Risk Management
- Geology, Soil, Contamination & Ground Investigation
- Waste, Materials Management & Re-use
- Landscape & Visual Impact Assessment
- Noise & Vibration
- Transport Planning & Assessment
- Equality, Health & Wellbeing
- Sustainable Design
- Consultation & Community Benefits
More about our services
Sweco is an industry leader in digital EIA. This streamlines the process for our clients and adds great value in consultation and engagement with key stakeholders. Our environmental planning expert can manage your project through all stages of the EIA process:
- Robust EIA Screening to determine requirement
- EIA Scoping with determining authority to agree proportionate content and methodologies of assessment
- Undertaking EIA – the team can prepare all EIA documentation for all of the UK’s main consenting mechanisms, integrating EIA with other consenting regimes, including permitting, planning, marine licencing and energy consenting
- Post-planning support – support during determination, agreement on and discharge of planning conditions, Section 96a and Section 73 applications
Environmental Planning Lead
Where an EIA is not required, we can coordinate the various specialist environmental assessments required to support and design and planning, a typical requirement for our clients. Our clients benefit from our integrated approach, no matter contract size.
Consultation – community impact and public participation
We can manage and coordinate stakeholder and public consultation with landowners, communities, businesses and schools. To ensure effective dialogue and recording, we can prepare and implement consultation and engagement plans. We are experienced in public consultation exercises, exhibitions, letter drops and social media.
Site Acquisition and Feasibility Studies
To support clients with due diligence and decision-making on site acquisition, our team can provide risk assessment constraints analysis, including GIS applications. To support the early stages of design and formation of development briefs, we can conduct initial environmental reviews, provide environmental and planning advice on site risks and feasibility studies.
Our multi-disciplinary teams can provide you with the following services:
- Policy, plan and programme appraisal
- Development plans and strategies
- Project management of all stages of Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) and Sustainability Appraisal (SA) and preparation of required documentation
- Preparation of SEA documentation including SEA environmental reports
- BREEAM and CEEQUAL assessments and assurance
- Ecosystem services and natural capital evaluation
- Sustainable design and preparation of Sustainability Statements to support planning applications
To ensure mitigation identified through EIA is effectively implemented, we design innovative and sustainable mitigation strategies and create management plans. This includes:
- Construction Environmental Management Plans
- Site Waste Management Plans
- Incident Management Plans
- Sustainable Water and Drainage Plans
To achieve a thorough, holistic service to our clients, developers and contractors, we tailor the management plans to ecology, construction, handover stage and generation of waste, considering the whole asset lifecycle.
Our ecology teams have extensive experience inputting to the design of large-scale infrastructure projects and masterplans alongside our landscape architecture teams. To deliver biodiversity net gains and minimise the impacts of such works upon the environment, our Ecologists apply the latest UK habitat classifications and biodiversity metric calculators. Together, our landscape architects, flood risk engineers and ecologists incorporate natural capital in the design process so projects contribute to healthy ecosystem services and meet the functional demands.
As a leading multi-disciplinary European engineering, environmental and design consultancy, Sweco combines local presence with global reach to deliver innovative, sustainable and cost-effective solutions, enabling our clients to achieve business success.
Bryn Jones Technical Director